Over the years the advice I have received from doctors about my gut issues, my son’s eczema, and our food allergies have evolved as new studies have emerged.
When it came to my Gut issues I was told:
- “Your recurrent tonsillitis and sinusitis have nothing to do with dairy. Here is another script for antibiotics, keep eating dairy – you need it for bone growth”. This happened several times a year until I turned 20 and drastically cut back the amount of dairy I consumed. I estimate that I have been prescribed approximately thirty or more rounds of antibiotics in my lifetime.
- “It’s stress and your diet. Change your job and lose some weight. You need to exercise an hour a day”.
- “It could be an infection. I am going to prescribe you a round of antibiotics, and if that doesn’t work out come back and I will prescribe a different type of antibiotic, and so on a so forth until we find one that works.”
- “You really need to go on a diet and loose some weight. Remember calories in, calories out”
- “IBS isn’t real. Maybe it’s all in your head? Try reducing stress and losing some weight”.
- “I have tested you for coeliac disease and you don’t have it so there is no reason for you to give up gluten”
- “You need dairy for your bone health. Even if you are lactose intolerant and dairy makes you feel sick you still need to eat a little bit of lactose reduced dairy, otherwise you will end up with osteoporosis”.
- “IBS is real, but you don’t have it. Try losing some weight”
- “There is no need to test if you are anaphylactic to shellfish, just don’t eat it.”
- “IBS is real and you do have it, try the FODMAP diet. The FODMAP diet is the best solution I can offer to manage IBS. I once had a patient with IBS and I prescribed her a diet of boiled chicken, veggies and rice only. When she came back to see me her IBS symptoms were lessened but I was amazed how quickly she had become depressed.”
- “I am going to test you for coeliac disease again. We have improved our testing and the other day a lady came in who had been sick for years and asked to be retested. I thought to myself she doesn’t have coeliac disease but I will test her again. She did have coeliac disease so it’s worth testing you again too.”
- “If you think some foods are making you sick, try the elimination diet to determine what they are. If dairy and gluten are making you sick stop eating them”.
When it came my son’s Eczema I was told:
- “Lactose intolerance is very rare. You must consume dairy and you must give your child dairy, even if you feel it makes you guys sick you still must eat a little bit for bone health”.
- ‘He is too young to allergy test. If you believe that different foods are making your son sick give him single foods only and watch his reaction”.
- “If he has been allergy tested once it doesn’t need to be done again, try the elimination diet”
- “Hopefully he will grow out of it but in the mean time try giving him a bleach bath, apply steroid cream and cover him in moisturiser”.
- “That moisturiser shouldn’t cause him pain. He needs a lot of moisturiser to keep his skin healthy. You need to cover him in moisturiser”.
- “Your son’s eczema is quite severe and infected, he needs antibiotics”.
- “No, your son doesn’t need probiotics. Probiotics help the gut, and eczema has nothing to do with the gut, so I don’t see how they would help?”
Recently we have found a new doctor who has done a thorough assessment, and discovered there is a whole lot more going on than just allergies, eczema and IBS.
For starters, we have a Candida Overgrowth, which has caused our gut to become leaky and cause a lot of problems. I suspect I have had Candida in my gut since I was twenty years old, and then unknowingly inoculated my sons with my imbalanced microbiome when I gave birth to them.
Our doctor prescribed different types of Nystatin antifungal medication, that will cull the excess Candida, and a diet rich in green vegetables to feed the good bacteria so they will repopulate, and make our guts and bodies healthier.
I will also be incorporating healing foods that include broth, gelatin, and good quality fats to help heal our guts.
Candida love sugar, they use it to build their cell walls and switch from a yeast to a fungus. This fungus quickly branches out, permeating the gut lining causing Leaky Gut Syndrome. So it is really important to cut down the amount sugars so the Candida does not have the energy to grow.
Our journey is far from over and we have a lot of work to do before we are healthy again. My son’s current blood test show he has developed more food based allergies, like egg, soy, and wheat. He also has developed non-food related allergies that I would have never discovered on the elimination diet like grass, dander and a severe allergy to dust mite.
Getting my family to cut down on sugar and increase the green vegetables in our diet is not going to be easy, but I have a grateful heart.
I have been sick for over twelve years with debilitating gut issues, I have watched my kids suffer in pain, and now finally we are all getting the help we so desperately need.
Thank you, thank you, thank you universe and thank you to the lovely people over in the Paleo Lunchbox Ideas group on Facebook for the recommendation. I doubt I would have found this doctor without you, so thank you!