I have three young sons with multiple food allergies, so I have to take food with us wherever we go; school, picnics, parties, road trips, you name it, if we are leaving home I have got to be prepared.
I did the math and worked that by the time all of my boys have finished school, I will have spent twenty years making lunchboxes! So I don’t lose my mind making the same lunch over and over again, I started a Paleo Lunchbox Ideas group on Facebook.
It’s a great place to get dairy free, gluten free, grain free, sugar free, nourishing food ideas that work well in the lunchbox or food thermos. One of my son’s has a egg and peanut allergy, and they go to a nut free school, so all of my recipes at the moment are egg and nut free. When my kids are not at school I do add some activated nuts and nut products to their lunchboxes sometimes.
When I first started packing my kids lunchboxes I found it challenging and overwhelming, and I just didn’t know what to pack. Not only do my kids have different food allergies, they have different tastes too, so finding foods that they can and will actually eat has been a mission!
It has taken me a few years to get things sorted and get into a rhythm. The two things that have helped me the most are:
1. Cooking extra and packing the leftovers for lunch the next day.
2. Cooking in bulk and freezing. Life is so much easier when you can take something out of the freezer and pop it straight into the kids lunchboxes, instead of cooking everything from scratch each morning.
I spend a lot of time in my kitchen road testing new recipes created by myself and others, and plan on updating this article with new lunchbox ideas several times a month. If you know of any good Paleo Lunchbox ideas or recipes please leave them in the comments section below – I would love to try them!
2. Roast pork belly, mango, strawberries, nori, roast veggies, and a 2 Ingredient Banana Cookie.
3. Nori, strawberries, blueberries, roasted broccoli, parsnip & sweet potato, lemon & rosemary chicken thighs, and a Mango & Cream Gummy.
4. Orange, avocado, tomato, lamb riblets, rainbow silverbeet, roast pumpkin, beetroot, apple & pear and a Strawberry and Cream Gummy.
5. Grass fed steak, mustard, celery stuffed with herbed cashew cheese, dragonfruit, lettuce, capsicum, baby carrots and a Sugar Free White Chocolate.